>> [...] I just copy/paste and
>> scale as needed but I cannot work on anything else until I anchor it.
>
>Actually you can also click New layer in the layers dalogue to turn the
>floating selection into a layer, and then you can work on other things.
>
>> Very frustrating when I want to adjust something underneath to match it
>> while it is still a separate layer (and I would like to keep it a
>> separate layer, too).
>
>You can indeed.

I used to have to go and click the New Layer button every time until I
discovered this handy shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+N
It makes your floating selection a new layer without having to move away
from the target area! (On a similar[?] note, Ctrl+Shift+D is useful for
duplicating a layer so you can have an unedited copy and then do something
crazy to the other copy.)