Bertie Coopersmith wrote:
> Actually, I may have been wrong in my previous reply about this. That
> error may have occurred on gimp startup without my being aware of it.
> Therefore its not clear to me whether it had any connection with the
> fact that rectselect was a do-nothing. (It did not take me into any
> further dialog to do with entering an aspect ratio).

There is no further dialog - there is a tool options dialog
however which opens when you double click on the tool in the
toolbox. The rect select tool is the dotted rectangle - the tool
which is selected by default at startup. Double click on it, and
a dialog opens up (in 1.2) In 1.3, this dialog is active by
default, and docked in the main toolbox window.

       David Neary,
       Lyon, France