On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:33:32 +0200
David Neary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bertie Coopersmith wrote:
> > I attempted David Neary's workaround which was to first use the rectselect tool
> > specifying the required aspect ratio. Unfortunately I cannot do this and I think my
> > gimp is a bit broken. This is what I get:-
> > -----------------------
> > /usr/lib/gimp/1.2/plug-ins/aa: error while loading shared libraries:
> >  libaa.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > LibGimp-WARNING **: gimp: wire_read: unexpected EOF
> > ------------------------
>
> I don't know what you're doing - is this when the gimp is
> starting up that you get this? In which case, either install
> libaa (ASCII art) or remove the plug-in. It's an optional plug-in
> which requires a 3rd party library - if you don't have it it's
> not dramatic. It just means that you can't save your images as
> text files...
>
> Anyway, that shouldn't stop the gimp from operating. Does it do
> so?

I get the error when, with an image opened in gimp, I click tools, select,
rectselect. Nothing happens in the image window but the error appears in my
terminal window at that moment. I can continue in gimp doing other operations with
the image. Only when I quit gimp do I actually see the error message(s). To my
knowledge I was not attempting to save the image as a text file or do any kind
of save. My image file is a JPEG and for my purposes of cropping, resizing etc
I dont make use of layers. I am happy to use my gimp as it is unless other signs of
flakiness turn up. However I would love to know if my suggestion re cropping
has a chance of being realized in a later release.

Regards, Bertie Coopersmith