Hi,

GIMP-1.3/2.0 is shipping desktop files that adhere to the Free Desktop
standards. These files describe what file types The GIMP can handle,
where it would like to live in the desktop menus and how it wants to
be used from a file manager. As far as I know recent versions of KDE
are using these files so these Konqueror issues should be solved by
using a recent version.

If anyone is interested, here are links to the relevant documents:

  http://freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-0.9.4.html

http://freedesktop.org/Standards/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-0.12.html

If someone wants to take the time to verify that the files we ship are
still in full compliance with these specs, I'd appreciate that.

Sven