Why is package config in /usr/local/bin ? Are you installing the whole
of gnome from source to try and get this to work? This will cause
problems in the future as you won't be able to automatically upgrade.

Did you install glib from source or rpm? Removing the version glib that
everything is using is most likly going to give you a world of pain. But
'make uninstall' from the directory you installed it from as root if
it's source. And "rpm -e <name of package>" if rpm (as root again).

If your installing libs from source you need to set up your computer to
use them. As the error message says. Not sure exactly what would be
needed on Suse. Most likly adding /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf. Add
setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig. Possibly other
things too.

Rember you need all the -dev rpms if you want to compile stuff.

It would be a much much beter idea for you to install the rpm. Ditching
suse for debian would also be a good idea.