michael chang wrote:
> On 11/8/05, Jeff Avveduti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Make sure the texture layer is selected

You probably understood this, but it's a potential point of confusion,
so let's try to make it totally clear: "selected" here means to make
sure, before opening the Bump Map dialog, that the texture is the active
layer in the main window (selected in the layers dialog).

>> Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I opened a picture, add text [Avveduti
>> Photography], Filters -> Map -> Bump Map, no matter I change, the text does
>> not change.
>> I move the window around to show the different letters of the text but
>> nothing. I slide everything to the far right... nothing. I hit ok and hide
>> the layer... nothing.
>> What am I doing wrong?

Maybe what you're missing is that, in the Bump Map dialog, you have to
select the text layer as the Bump Map ... that option is in the upper
right corner (at least for me on Linux ... I don't imagine it varies by
platform, but it's conceivable).

> I don't think the text is supposed to change, the background is.  Then
> you should be able to "hide" the text somehow,

Yes, for the final image ... though if you start with the text below the
texture, it won't be visible anyway.

> the text layer in the layers box.  Maybe you need to flatten it first?

Can't imagine how that would make a difference at this stage.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA