great work, I am particularly impressed by the theory behind your plugin. I
ran into a bit of trouble (see error messages at the end). While I typed this
message, I came across the solution, so I'll post my question together with
the answer in case others run into the same glitch. I have kubuntu 8.04 with
GIMP 2.4 and Python 2.5. GIMP dumps the attached message in the console when
it is loaded, and the plugin fails to load (yes, I did chmod a+x
Apparently, kubuntu's GIMP package does not include the gimp-python package,
which needs to be installed manually with `apt-get install gimp-python' (or
with aptitude).

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/marcus/.gimp-2.4/plug-ins/", line 8, in <module>
    from gimpfu import *
ImportError: No module named gimpfu

(gimp:3591): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/marcus/.gimp-2.4/plug-ins/", line 217, in <module>
NameError: name 'register' is not defined

(gimp:3591): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: gimp: gimp_wire_read(): error

Marcus (via