Jon Winters writes:
 > Nice stuff.  His "trademark style" of the translucent plastic or glass
 > looking button/lens thingie is what really leaps off the screen and
 > grabbs my attention.

Hey he's a Mac guy. What do you expect. :)

Seriously the most obvious solution is to use a ray-trace rendering
package. It looks rendered to my inexperienced eye. Notice that
everything has that soft plastic look with high quality highlights and
reflections. Ray-trace software does an excellent job on plastics and
translucent objects. That combination of refraction, diffusion and
reflection is a speciality.

He does mention rendering on his page.