On Tue, Sep 15, 2026, at 14:48, Gabriel Wicki wrote:
>> I was under the impression that there was a moratorium for LLM-assisted
>> code in Guix.
> Me too.  Care to comment, @efraim?

It was obviously not my intention for anyone to feel like they needed to quit 
over this commit, and I am sad to see Ian go.

This commit was pushed about 3 months ago in the beginning of June; I'm not 
sure where we were in the process of GCD 008 at that point. Looking quickly 
through my Maildir it looks like a more formal moratorium was proposed after 
the end of the voting.

As I posted in guix/guix#11154 there was extensive back-and-forth between me 
and the author of the commit, mostly on IRC, and I do not have any reason to 
believe that he just pointed an LLM at the codebase and said "make it better". 
He had a question about extending the PEG parser in Guile and the LLM provided 
him with an answer, which both he and I extensively tested. Further, at 1 line 
of change, with the code likely "non-creative", it fell below the normative 
threshold for copyright.  Additionally, I didn't want to encourage people to 
hide the LLM-assist trailer on their git commits, if it was indeed relevant.

Reply via email to