Hi Efraim,

thank you for your explanation, some comments below.

On 2026-09-15, Efraim Flashner wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 15, 2026, at 14:48, Gabriel Wicki wrote:
>>> I was under the impression that there was a moratorium for LLM-assisted
>>> code in Guix.
>> Me too.  Care to comment, @efraim?

[...]

> Maildir it looks like a more formal moratorium was proposed after the end of 
> the voting.

Could youl please share the Message-Id, I guess there I can find the full text 
of the moratorium.

Furthermore, was the moratorium published "somewhere"?  Does it have an 
expiration date?

> As I posted in guix/guix#11154 there was extensive back-and-forth between me 
> and the author of the commit, mostly on IRC, and I do not have any reason to 
> believe that he just pointed an LLM at the codebase and said "make it better".

I doubt this is possible with any "vibe coding" tool, at least one have to give 
the "vibe coding agent" several prompt to get some useful result... but that is 
not the point

> He had a question about extending the PEG parser in Guile and the LLM 
> provided him with an answer, which both he and I extensively tested.

This is the point: two human beings, with the appropriate competence, tested 
the code, one before PR submission and (obviously) one before the commit.

That's why I'm confident that no "AI generated" sloppy code could ever be 
committed _downstream_ by Guix developers (it's very hard to assure no "AI" 
sloppy code comes from upstream).

> Further, at 1 line of change, with the code likely "non-creative", it fell 
> below the normative threshold for copyright.

AFAIU copyright is _not_ the reason people complained for this commit in 
guix/guix#11154, it's because contributors stated they used "AI" as a tool to 
write the submitted code.

> Additionally, I didn't want to encourage people to hide the LLM-assist 
> trailer on their git commits, if it was indeed relevant.

Unlike you, I encourage all (potential) contributors to _hide_ all the tools 
(debuggers, search engines, linters, editors, LLMs) they eventually used to get 
the result.

Dont'ask, don't tell.

Happy hacking! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to