While it's impossible to extend Worldcraft's mapping area without modifying the
engine, "rescaling" HL to make the players and such smaller, thus creating the
illusion of a larger map area, is quite practical and I believe it has been
done on a number of mods.  Here's a tutorial that explains how to go about it
(written by our very own Omega and Corvidae):

http://www.nofadz.com/blackened/hltuts/rescale.html