http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=21168

According to that post,  Source/ TF2 doesn't like ssbump on blended
displacement textures. He says that all of the working textures used a
normal map.

Looking in the TF2 materials list, I see however that ssbump is used for the
$bumpmap:

material:
blendgrassground001.vmt

"WorldVertexTransition"
{
 "$basetexture" "Nature/dirtground007"
 "$basetexture2" "Nature/rockground007"
 "%tooltexture" "Nature/grass_02"
 "%detailtype" "tf_granary_grass"
 "%keywords" "tf"
 "$bumpmap" "Nature/dirtground005_height-ssbump"
 "$ssbump" "1"
 "$surfaceprop" "dirt"
}

What I would do is start by copying a known working texture blend set and
rename it to your textures, make sure it still works, then substitute your
textures and verify that it still works, tweak as needed.

These two articles might have some additional information:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2007/SIGGRAPH2007_EfficientSelfShadowedRadiosityNormalMapping.pdf

http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications/2008/GDC2008_PostProcessingInTheOrangeBox.pdf

Chris Green in "Efficient Self-Shadowed Radiosity Normal Mapping" wrote:
It is also possible to generate textures in this format through standard 3D
rendering packages, by the careful placement of area lights in the scenes.
Analogously, such maps could be captured from real world materials via
photography with appropriately placed lights and reflectors.

lots of other great articles here:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/publications.html

qUiCkSiLvEr