Steam's already running on Linux.

If you want proof, there's the Mac version. When you launch the Mac
version, the first thing that happens is a shell script is executed.
Here's an excerpt

#determine platform
UNAME=`uname`
if [ "$UNAME" == "Linux" ]; then
   PLATFORM=linux32
   # prepend our lib path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
else # if [ "$UNAME" == "Darwin" ]; then
   PLATFORM=osx32
   # prepend our lib path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
   export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

Bucky