Would it not be much better to use rep when matching players together
instead of letting player kick players with a bad, publicly viewable
rep?

Automatically let teamkillers play with teamkillers and teamworkers
play with teamworkers, now that would be something! To get good rep
again they have to play nice, but if they will just get kicked when
trying to join a server then they are practically banned from the game
for being bad.