A simple solution would be for matchmaking to always look in the "favorite
servers" listed in the client's serverbrowser and choose one of those first
if they are available (assuming you have a serverbrowser to add favorites to
of course).

The serverbrowser concept is a proven and useful tool for locating game
servers.  In its current implementation it only really fails when
inexperienced players try to see all servers in the whole world (and it just
takes too long to query thousands of servers you really aren't interested
in).

Pure Matchmaking sidesteps this problem but destroys the concept of server
based communities which isn't a good thing.

The best solution is to have a hybrid of both solutions.  Using a Steam
Community "Server" group is actually a 3rd leg to this tripod - basically
pre-established matchmaking for both friends and the server.

So we would then have (from a client point of view):
1. On the fly matchmaking (console game simplicity)
2. Friends list based matchmaking
3. Favorite Tab servers based matchmaking
4. Steam Community Based matchmaking (groups friends around specific
servers)
5. Tag based matchmaking (sv_search_key)
6. Independent players that use a pure serverbrowser (or that just prefer
3rd party serverbrowser tools)

7. players need to be able to join specific servers via links on webpages as
well.

Add to this (eventually) skill level and/or reputation based controls
(server side) to the matchmaking and this would be a very powerful set of
tools indeed for servers and players to find each other with.

It might be a nice addition for players to eventually have the ability to
vote a reputation for a server as well, although there are probably many
ways for this to be sidestepped since servers don't really have a fixed
identity. One method would be to give the server the ability to register
directly to it's Community group and then reputation votes could accumulate
there.

I don't see any problem for players joining in the middle of a mission
especially since players are always going to be leaving in the middle of a
mission.

If coop missions develop into multi-map day long or week long adventures
with status being saved and restored then locking out random players would
become very valuable.  This scenario would be a wonderful addition to the
game as well as a great challenge for map makers (a mod within a mod).