I reiterate the assessment by Richard.  Kudos for an articulate layout and
for Valve at being proactive.  Now the question is...to the person that kept
saying, _it's a symptom, it's a symptom_.. w/o stating what the problem in
the same sentence, do you agree with Richard?  ;)  You don't have to answer,
but I think it's more than fair since you initiated such a characterization.

[FLASH] MjrNuT
Arise from Flames and Ash, Behold Immortality

www.flamesandash.com

Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:46:43 +0000
> From: Patrick Shelley <sidest...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [hlds] Server Scoring - an open letter to Valve :)
>        <hlds@list.valvesoftware.com>

bang on target richard.

i think you summed up exactly what the actual problem is.... server
admin's on their pedestal.

On 15/03/2009, Richard Eid <richard....@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> This is a huge problem nowadays.  Server operators feel they are somehow
> above the players and should be treated as such.  It shows in the attitude
> of a lot of people on this list, which I'm sure echoes throughout the the
> rest of the server operator population that doesn't participate here. It
> also obviously shows in the subsequent actions that server operators take.
> Yes, you run servers so that people can play Valve's games.  But guess
> what?  So do so many other people.  And a lot of them are satisfied with
> what Valve does with the game and the servers.  I'm sick and tired of
> hearing the argument that without people to run thier servers, the games,
> and subsequently Valve, would die.  Do me a favor and refresh your Server
> Browser.  Does anyone see a shortage of servers to play on?  That argument
> needs to stop right now.  None of us are special, nor do we deserve
anything
> for running a server.  You made the choice to run a server.  If you don't
> like the direction Valve is taking us, make another decision to stop
running
> that server, it's simple.  You aren't above the players, but you're free
> keep thinking that as your servers sit empty.  I've always heard that it's
> lonely up on that pedestal, anyway.
>
> This new ranking system serves to directly address this problem as it will
> force server operators to live up to a higher standard and give the
players
> what they want.  That's what Valve has always been about, at least in my
> eyes.  It's what the Custom tab was all about but was shunned by the
people
> who thought it would hurt their servers.  I don't recall any of the
players
> complaining about it, though.  When server operators broke that system,
> Valve removed it because, at that point, it served no purpose.  It wasn't
> helping players like it was originally intended to do.  Players began to
> complain that custom servers were still on the Internet tab, but they
never
> complained that the Custom tab existed.  Most server operators didn't even
> give that system a chance before they decided they were going to work
around
> it, anyway.  Even though it's gone, I still see a lot of the tools that
were
> designed to work around it still available and in use on tons of servers.
> That goes to show that people don't care about their communities, only the
> well being of their precious server.
>
> I'm not saying that every server operator fits this description, but I
feel
> that more do than don't.  This is now being dealt with.
>
> Bad servers aren't the problem, I agree.  Bad servers are a symptom.  The
> problem is bad server operators.  And this solution does a lot to give
> server operators incentive to run better servers...honest servers.
 Servers
> [...]
> anyway.  If you started a server in the first place, I'm going to assume
> that you wanted to have a place for you and some or all of your friends to
> play.  What other reason would you have a server?  Oh yeah...to measure
your
> status in the world.
>
> For instance, there is a group of servers that I play on.  They are almost
> always packed full at the times I want to play.  Sometimes I'll notice
that
> they're completely empty, though.  I still join one of their servers
because
> when I do, someone else joins.  Then two more people join.  Then five more
> people join.  Then, before I know what happened, it's full.  And that all
> started by me making the Server Browser show 1/24.
>
> Those other 23 players may not have joined for the same reason I did,
> though.  I think a lot of them joined because A) there was a slot open and
> 2) because the servers in that community are operated well and are a
> pleasurable place to play.  They give me a reason to come back, just like
> they gave almost all of the other 23 players that came in after me a
reason
> to come back.  Yeah, there are a few that joined because they saw an
almost
> full server, but the majority are players I've seen there before.  They
had
> a reason to come back besides it being a full server.  So the guy(or gal)
> that joined when it was 3/24 may be the guy that seeds it next time.  Same
> as the person that joined it when it was 23/24 because he/she found it an
> awesome place to play and hopes that he/she can get a good game going the
> next time around.  Each person may have their own reasons for returning to
> server, I have mine.  But I guess I can't say specifically what those
> reasons are other than I just like playing there with the others that
join.

> And this community in particular doesn't "cheat".  They run an
> honest-to-goodness community and have never done anything to alienate the
> playerbase.  They aren't the only community I frequent that I can say this
> about, either.  I'd like to know how you came to the conclusion that these
> servers you've researched "cheat".  Could you also provide some
> clarification on "cheat"?  I feel like you may be embellishing a little
bit
> to help your side of the argument, but I'll wait until you clarify and/or
> qualify that statement before I come to that conclusion.  Good communities
> are solid and their servers stay full because they are straight-up with
and
> good to their players.  Maybe my definition of a good community differs
from
> yours.
>
> Either way, you still haven't defined what you consider to be "the

Sent from my mobile device