I don't want to appear to be lobbying for a position I don't necessarily hold,
but as I said earlier, there is no tool yet invented to completely supplant
regular *informal* office interaction. As Tom Brennan said, working across from
someone invites casual *unplanned* communication that can be vital.

War story. I once got a call from an auditor (!!!) saying that he had just
started a JES2 audit in another data center and found that one of the JES2
PROCLIB data sets was missing. Say what? Impossible! I logged on there and sure
enough, it was nowhere to be found. Contacted a colleague who worked there
daily. He had received a request from an application group to delete a
procedure library that they owned but no longer needed for testing. My
colleague, the nicest most accommodating guy you can imagine, obliged. He was
not a JES2 guy, but he knew how to satisfy a client. All of this transpired
miraculously within a few hours. No intervening JES2 restart. Problem fixed
before disaster hit.

I can't prove it of course, but I believe that if we had been in the same
proximity, I would have caught wind of what was happening in time to intervene.
He had not contacted me because he didn't think there would be a problem.
That's the rub. Colocation is as much about what you learn accidentally that
can save your bacon.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson