On Tue, 8 May 2018 05:47:03 -0500, Paul Edwards wrote:

>extra baggage of 64-bit programming, with
>64-bit addresses stored in memory instead
>of 32-bit addresses.

This is 2018. Conserving memory isn't nearly as important as it was in 1970.
Storing 64-bit addresses isn't a big deal.

>It's about making 32-bit programs the best
>they can be in theory. That means producing
>a *single load module* that works as AM24
>on MVS 3.8j, works as AM31 on MVS/XA and
>above, and works as AM64 on z/OS.

>32-bit load modules should be constructed
>in a manner that still works on S/370.

>This has nothing to do with MVS/380. It has
>to do with making beautiful 32-bit load
>modules that work anywhere. I already have
>that, but when my load modules run on z/OS
>they can only get 2 GiB of memory and I
>would like to be able to bump that up to
>4 GiB.

You are contradicting yourself. You say that your programs should be
constructed in such a way that they work on System/370, yet you
need to be able to allocate 3 GB of contiguous storage.

You are not being truthful when you say that this has nothing to do
with MVS/380.

--
Tom Marchant