I totally agree on what you've said.

The problem is that most programmers confuse DB Abstraction Layers, with
Database Wrappers. There are many approaches to simplify, unify & extend
Database functionality. I generally think a DB Abstraction Layer is very
useful if you're developing a *product* that needs to run with different
databases. Managing the differences in SQL dialects is a nightmare! I would
rather use some sort of a layer to handle that, and I certainly wouldn't
write my own, unless I know exactly why I need to do that.

As far as I know, MDB2 & ADOdb are the two most mature, full fledged
abstraction layers out there.

That said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't abstract Data Access (Models).
Abstracting data from the application is a must, in MVC terms, that would be
writing models. You can still write excellent models using native DB
functions, e.g. mysql_*

- Ammar

On 10/17/07, zaid emeish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>
> Ok. for a start. there are no rules in programming. there are only guide
> lines. so if you are looking to use a DB layer. you should ask urself a few
> questions:
> 1- Do I really need a DB layer?
> 2- If Do I use one. is it gonna make my job easier?
> 3- What exactly do I want this layer to do?

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Jordan PHP Users Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/JoPHP
http://Jolug.org/
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to