I didn’t try Code Igniter but I have recently started to develop with 
symphony.. .pretty nice, easy to develop with and pretty fast (with caching 
options enabled etc. etc.). Usable with PEAR which makes future updates pretty 
easy to handle .It comes with lots of command line tools for code generation so 
development with it is also pretty fast. However, I don’t know how it stands 
against other PHP frameworks.

 

From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ammar 
Ibrahim
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 10:19 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [JoPHP] Re: Are database abstraction layers worth it?

 

 

On 10/18/07, Al-Faisal El-Dajani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

/blink ... Somebody lost the reason for this thread along the way.

Now, I have to disagree with my critiques, because i consider my question to be 
extremely plain and straightforward and not "vague", and that it can NOT be 
answered by Google'ing or as it was nicely put to RTFM, because i asked a very 
specific question "What do YOU think of database abstraction layers". I did not 
ask what are they, i did not ask why are they good, i did not ask why are they 
evil, and i did not ask anything else regarding abstraction layers themselves. 

Also, don't patronize us with all that "i've worked on x projects in my life so 
consult me", when in the last year and a half you participated in only 7 
threads in this group. To put it in lamen terms, i don't know you, and i don't 
know your technical background, so i won't ask you. Earning our technical 
respect and having us ask you questions is something earned not asked for. 

Anyway, some of the input was really helpful. Ammar's latest reply was truly 
insightful and helped me figure things out. Ala'a and khairi's responses at the 
beginning were also extremely helpful, zaid's guidelines are worth remembering 
(on both sides of the equation), and hafez thanx for bringing up code igniter. 

 

If I were you, I would avoid Code Igniter. The system abuses some simple design 
philosophies and its Database layer is horrible, one of the worst I've ever 
seen.



--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Jordan PHP Users Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/JoPHP
http://Jolug.org/
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to