to be honest with u man. and we discussed this on the phone many times. that
these guys don't want to spend time researching. and i think it's not just
their fault. its the educational programming they got in school, college....
etc. so here is what u need to do guys. there is a business rule. it's
called the 80 - 20 (eighty twenty rule). what this means. in business 80% of
the income is generated by 20% of the customers. and u should apply this to
programming. spend 80% of ur time on research and reading. and 20% actually
programming. and when u have a specific problem that u can't solve. and
can't find the solution on Google (which I doubt). then come here and ask
the question. u have some great great developers here that have huge
knowledge and can help. but you have to ask the right question.

Guys I am sorry if I am too honest with u. but if u keep asking vague
questions. u will get vague answers. use this group wisely. Absorb Ammars
knowledge and mine as much as u can. we worked on huge complex projects. and
we can help. but only if u ask the right question and put the right effort.

--Zaid


On 10/17/07, Ammar Ibrahim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I totally agree on what you've said.
>
> The problem is that most programmers confuse DB Abstraction Layers, with
> Database Wrappers. There are many approaches to simplify, unify & extend
> Database functionality. I generally think a DB Abstraction Layer is very
> useful if you're developing a *product* that needs to run with different
> databases. Managing the differences in SQL dialects is a nightmare! I would
> rather use some sort of a layer to handle that, and I certainly wouldn't
> write my own, unless I know exactly why I need to do that.
>
> As far as I know, MDB2 & ADOdb are the two most mature, full fledged
> abstraction layers out there.
>
> That said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't abstract Data Access (Models).
> Abstracting data from the application is a must, in MVC terms, that would be
> writing models. You can still write excellent models using native DB
> functions, e.g. mysql_*
>
> - Ammar
>
> On 10/17/07, zaid emeish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Ok. for a start. there are no rules in programming. there are only guide
> > lines. so if you are looking to use a DB layer. you should ask urself a few
> > questions:
> > 1- Do I really need a DB layer?
> > 2- If Do I use one. is it gonna make my job easier?
> > 3- What exactly do I want this layer to do?
>
>
>
>
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Jordan PHP Users Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/JoPHP
http://Jolug.org/
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to