/blink ... Somebody lost the reason for this thread along the way.

Now, I have to disagree with my critiques, because i consider my question to
be extremely plain and straightforward and not "vague", and that it can NOT
be answered by Google'ing or as it was nicely put to RTFM, because i asked a
very specific question "What do YOU think of database abstraction layers". I
did not ask what are they, i did not ask why are they good, i did not ask
why are they evil, and i did not ask anything else regarding abstraction
layers themselves.

Also, don't patronize us with all that "i've worked on x projects in my life
so consult me", when in the last year and a half you participated in only 7
threads in this group. To put it in lamen terms, i don't know you, and i
don't know your technical background, so i won't ask you. Earning our
technical respect and having us ask you questions is something earned not
asked for.

Anyway, some of the input was really helpful. Ammar's latest reply was truly
insightful and helped me figure things out. Ala'a and khairi's responses at
the beginning were also extremely helpful, zaid's guidelines are worth
remembering (on both sides of the equation), and hafez thanx for bringing up
code igniter.

On 10/18/07, Khairi Husseini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  Zaid, you�re talking out of my heart� unfortunately the problem you
> mentioned is not limited to this group ;)
>
> When I began programming I used to hate people like us who talked that way
> (in good old English said �RTFM�), however once I became a better programmer
> and noticed that I do have (at least for our region) an above average
> knowledge for someone in my age (and years of experience) people started to
> only ask questions rather than �just� look it up anywhere. I spent the past
> half year training my colleagues to first look at the manual, then common
> forums, then google before they asked me (or anyone else). �A note by side�
> Zaid, I loved your answer simply stating the �guide-line� questions, even I
> forget from time to time to actually ask myself, what I need from a specific
> component.
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mozzy
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf
> Of *zaid emeish
> *Sent:* Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:29 PM
> *To:* [email protected]
> *Subject:* [JoPHP] Re: Are database abstraction layers worth it?
>
>
>
> to be honest with u man. and we discussed this on the phone many times.
> that these guys don't want to spend time researching. and i think it's not
> just their fault. its the educational programming they got in school,
> college.... etc. so here is what u need to do guys. there is a business
> rule. it's called the 80 - 20 (eighty twenty rule). what this means. in
> business 80% of the income is generated by 20% of the customers. and u
> should apply this to programming. spend 80% of ur time on research and
> reading. and 20% actually programming. and when u have a specific problem
> that u can't solve. and can't find the solution on Google (which I doubt).
> then come here and ask the question. u have some great great developers here
> that have huge knowledge and can help. but you have to ask the right
> question.
>
> Guys I am sorry if I am too honest with u. but if u keep asking vague
> questions. u will get vague answers. use this group wisely. Absorb Ammars
> knowledge and mine as much as u can. we worked on huge complex projects. and
> we can help. but only if u ask the right question and put the right effort.
>
> --Zaid
>
>  On 10/17/07, *Ammar Ibrahim* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I totally agree on what you've said.
>
> The problem is that most programmers confuse DB Abstraction Layers, with
> Database Wrappers. There are many approaches to simplify, unify & extend
> Database functionality. I generally think a DB Abstraction Layer is very
> useful if you're developing a *product* that needs to run with different
> databases. Managing the differences in SQL dialects is a nightmare! I would
> rather use some sort of a layer to handle that, and I certainly wouldn't
> write my own, unless I know exactly why I need to do that.
>
> As far as I know, MDB2 & ADOdb are the two most mature, full fledged
> abstraction layers out there.
>
> That said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't abstract Data Access (Models).
> Abstracting data from the application is a must, in MVC terms, that would be
> writing models. You can still write excellent models using native DB
> functions, e.g. mysql_*
>
> - Ammar
>
> On 10/17/07, *zaid emeish* < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>
> Ok. for a start. there are no rules in programming. there are only guide
> lines. so if you are looking to use a DB layer. you should ask urself a few
> questions:
> 1- Do I really need a DB layer?
> 2- If Do I use one. is it gonna make my job easier?
> 3- What exactly do I want this layer to do?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >
>


-- 
Al-Faisal El-Dajani
Phone: +962-7-79 73 70 50
P.O Box: 140056
11814 Amman, Jordan

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Jordan PHP Users Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/JoPHP
http://Jolug.org/
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to