honestly man. I read all the posted questions. and you have no idea how I
feel about it. this is dangerous. rule #1 in programming RTFM (Read The Fine
Manual). then ask the questions. and what I'm saying is just common sense.
yet people don't do it. but the thing is. if don't know why u r using this
component. or why it is used in general. why bother use it in the first
place. U HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE THEORY FIRST. then do the implementation.
Guys honestly. go to other forums. and post these questions. if anyone
replies to u. the answer will be RTFM.

I know that all of u want to help. but if u answer these questions. u r not
helping. u r making them more dependent. and if ur english is not strong.
learn it first. take a course. then learn programming. u can't play soccer
if u don't have a ball.

This is my advice. now i let it all out. cuz it's been there for quite some
time.

--Z





On 10/17/07, Khairi Husseini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>  Zaid, you�re talking out of my heart� unfortunately the problem you
> mentioned is not limited to this group ;)
>
> When I began programming I used to hate people like us who talked that way
> (in good old English said �RTFM�), however once I became a better programmer
> and noticed that I do have (at least for our region) an above average
> knowledge for someone in my age (and years of experience) people started to
> only ask questions rather than �just� look it up anywhere. I spent the past
> half year training my colleagues to first look at the manual, then common
> forums, then google before they asked me (or anyone else). �A note by side�
> Zaid, I loved your answer simply stating the �guide-line� questions, even I
> forget from time to time to actually ask myself, what I need from a specific
> component.
>
>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mozzy
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] *On Behalf
> Of *zaid emeish
> *Sent:* Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:29 PM
> *To:* [email protected]
> *Subject:* [JoPHP] Re: Are database abstraction layers worth it?
>
>
>
> to be honest with u man. and we discussed this on the phone many times.
> that these guys don't want to spend time researching. and i think it's not
> just their fault. its the educational programming they got in school,
> college.... etc. so here is what u need to do guys. there is a business
> rule. it's called the 80 - 20 (eighty twenty rule). what this means. in
> business 80% of the income is generated by 20% of the customers. and u
> should apply this to programming. spend 80% of ur time on research and
> reading. and 20% actually programming. and when u have a specific problem
> that u can't solve. and can't find the solution on Google (which I doubt).
> then come here and ask the question. u have some great great developers here
> that have huge knowledge and can help. but you have to ask the right
> question.
>
> Guys I am sorry if I am too honest with u. but if u keep asking vague
> questions. u will get vague answers. use this group wisely. Absorb Ammars
> knowledge and mine as much as u can. we worked on huge complex projects. and
> we can help. but only if u ask the right question and put the right effort.
>
> --Zaid
>
>  On 10/17/07, *Ammar Ibrahim* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I totally agree on what you've said.
>
> The problem is that most programmers confuse DB Abstraction Layers, with
> Database Wrappers. There are many approaches to simplify, unify & extend
> Database functionality. I generally think a DB Abstraction Layer is very
> useful if you're developing a *product* that needs to run with different
> databases. Managing the differences in SQL dialects is a nightmare! I would
> rather use some sort of a layer to handle that, and I certainly wouldn't
> write my own, unless I know exactly why I need to do that.
>
> As far as I know, MDB2 & ADOdb are the two most mature, full fledged
> abstraction layers out there.
>
> That said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't abstract Data Access (Models).
> Abstracting data from the application is a must, in MVC terms, that would be
> writing models. You can still write excellent models using native DB
> functions, e.g. mysql_*
>
> - Ammar
>
> On 10/17/07, *zaid emeish* < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>
> Ok. for a start. there are no rules in programming. there are only guide
> lines. so if you are looking to use a DB layer. you should ask urself a few
> questions:
> 1- Do I really need a DB layer?
> 2- If Do I use one. is it gonna make my job easier?
> 3- What exactly do I want this layer to do?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Jordan PHP Users Group" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/JoPHP
http://Jolug.org/
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to