Hi,

I tried to get some understandment about how the license text for the ECW
SDK/ECW JPEG 2000 SDK/ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK has changed but it is not easy.
However, it looks like there in no problem in using .dll files from the
independent ER Mapper time before Leica Geosystems bought the company in 2007.
All the old programs I checked (Irfan View, ArcView, ArcGIS 9, MapInfo
Professional etc.) just have copied the NCS***.dll files from the
"redistributable" directory of the ECW SDK. I could not find a copy of ER
Mapper ECW licence from those programs but it is possible that it is included
somewhere on the help files.

EULA from November 2007 did not change much the situation with OpenJUMP I
think. What we use are exactly the files in the "redistributables" directory

" 2. LICENSE GRANT
2.1. Non-Commercial Use.
2.1.1. Subject to all other terms of this Agreement, You are hereby granted a
royalty-free, nonexclusive, worldwide license to use the ECW/JP2 CODEC SDK to
create and distribute END APPLICATIONS that DECODE and/or ENCODE for
NON-COMMERCIAL USES.
2.1.2. Subject to all other terms of this Agreement, You are hereby granted a
royalty-free, worldwide license to use the ECW/JP2 CODEC SDK to create and
distribute LIBRARIES.  In distributing LIBRARIES, You are licensed only to
distribute those compiled portions of the ECW/JP2 CODEC SDK in the
"redistributables" directory, which contains binaries that another application
using the LIBRARY will link to."

The whole EULA text is citated in gdal develor thread
http://www.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-December/015248.html

At that time the SDK version was 3.x.x. The current version is 4.2 and the
company name ERDAS. I do not think that OpenJUMP could even theoretically use
the new 4.x SDK. ERDAS is marketing the system for streaming ECW imagery
through the internet with ECWP protocol and new license terms mandate that any
software using the version 4.x ECW must be able to read both static .ecw image
files and content from servers sending ECWP streams.

We could consider to deliver the old ECW .dll files bundled with OpenJUMP like
we do now.  We cannot really deliver OJ without the dlls and give instruction
for the users to download dlls separately, because ERDAS does not have version
3.x downloads. It was not allowed at the v. 3.x time to deliver dlls separately
but they should be included with the main software. Therefore I do not believe
we could keep  copies of the .dll files for download on OJ web side.
Alternative is to remove the ECW support totally. For me the current situation
with dll files included in the release version but not in the nightly builds
fine because I do have some ECW images and OpenJUMP is handling them fine.

When it comes to 4.x version, perhaps it would be best to acquire the possible
ECW support through an external library like GDAL or Geotools of Sextante
instead of building a new native support into OpenJUMP.

-Jukka Rahkonen-