I can see that the imagery support appeared with the Jump 1.2 version by Vivid
solutions from October 31 2006. It included already support for ECW and MrSID
Installation guide says:

4.4 IMAGERY ADD-INS
4.4.1 ErMapper
ErMapper users should download the ErMapper.jar file from
http://www.ermapper.com/.
The jar should be placed into the lib directory, and added to the classpath.
4.4.2 MrSID
MrSID users should download the mrsidgeodecode.exe and mrsidgeoinfo.exe
utilities from
http://www.lizardtech.com/. The files should be placed in a local directory,
and added to the
system path. Note: you may add the exe files to the system path within the
launch script.
4.4.3 Imagery Hardware Support
Imagery user may also consider installing hardware support for JAI from
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jai/. A software version is included
with JUMP,
you may need to remove the jai*.jar files from the classpath after installing
the hardware
support into your JVM.

The guide does not mention .dll files but ECW images cannot be opened without
them with JUMP 1.2.  With dlls it works still very well.

First time I can see ECW dlls appear with OpenJUMP on this computer is:
D:\openjump-20070503-0016\lib\ext
21.10.2004  15:14         1 024 034 NCSEcw.dll

-Jukka Rahkonen-