> On 09 Aug 2017, at 19:57, Albert Astals Cid <aa...@kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> The bigger issue seen in what Jonathan pasted isn't that IRC clients show
>> when people join or leave a group. The issue is that it shows when people
>> close their IRC client. And the problem is not that it shows them, but that
>> this is _relevant_ because it means they can't follow the conversation
>> anymore.
>
> This is a feature and not a bug.
>
> Instant messanging is for instant communication, if i'm not there i don't
> care
> what happened, important things should be sent by email or other actually
> archiveable format.
>
> You can't expect me to read a 200 messages backlog in 20 channels just in
> case
> something important was said while i was away.
>
> Also one of the reasons of why i hate to use Telegram for anything that
> "actually matters" is this "always on" feature.
>
> Telegram messages end up in my phone, and show a notification, so i have to
> read it because my mind wants my task bar without notifications, but once
> read
> the "you have to read this" is gone, so if it's something important i need to
> do later i will forget and won't get done.
>
> And to top that off there's no way to "log off from channels" like on IRC
> (where i am on some channels during work day and some others on non work
> day),
> so it creates the false impression that i'm "always avaiable" when i'm not
> and
> that together with the "no way to mark messages as unread if they are
> important" makes it really bad for serious use.

Slack has mitigated that problem by allowing you to set - per Team, so your
work and your spare time projects would live in different teams - times when
you are considered available and get notifications, and times when you’re
considered away and you don’t get notifications.
And people who ping you while you’re away get the information that you’re away,
plus the option to have you notified anyway in case something really really
catastrophic happened.

We could make such a capability a requirement if enough of us think it’s
crucial.