I remember doing the poor man's version of this kind of job with a xerox
machine, a pair of scissor, and a black waterproof marker!
That was before I could afford a scanner!
I know a guy who etches hundreds of PCB each month, and he uses nothing but
Illustrator.
But being an electronic tech, I'd rather spend nights learning Kicad than
Inkscape. And the ability to replace an obsolete package by a new one with a
simple click is indeed a feature I use often, especially when dealing with
20yo+ stuff...

Axel