From: Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com>
 To: leo-editor <leo-editor@googlegroups.com>
 Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 1:40 PM
 Subject: Re: Fw: Proposal: remove commit_timestamp.json

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Jacob Peck <gatesph...@gmail.com> wrote:

  I'm with Terry on this -- the commit_timestamp.json file has been immensely
helpful in debugging user issues in the past.  Relegating the commit hash to
some funky filename is not an acceptable option.

​Ok.  I can live with this.
Ok :-) next time I want to make a point I'll just ask Jacob to post it :-)

I would like the hook that creates commit_timestamp.json to use the new format.
I'll see what I can do today.
It might be a source of confusion if the commit hash and timestamp sometimes
agree (i.e. when .git is present), and sometimes don't (i.e. when the commit
hash comes from git log -1).
If I'm understanding the new format, the githash Leo displays in the log would
be for the preceding commit, when .git is not present, and the current commit,
when it is?  Or perhaps it doesn't display the hash when .git is not present,
but then there's not much point having it in the .json file.
This is how the use of "20160722143100" as a replacement for a commit hash
evolved.  I think it's a better atomic identifier than "Mon Oct 17 05:07:33
2016".  For one thing it has no spaces in it.
Cheers -Terry

Git hooks are painless.  Why is this suddenly an issue?

​Because they aren't painless :-).  And useless if a dev forgets to copy them
into leo-editor/.git when cloning a new repo.

In any event, the old code in leoVersion.py is much simpler than the old, which
knew way too much the structure of .git folders.  The new code just uses git
log -1.

EKR--