I'm with Terry on this -- the commit_timestamp.json file has been immensely helpful in debugging user issues in the past. Relegating the commit hash to some funky filename is not an acceptable option.

Git hooks are painless.  Why is this suddenly an issue?

-->Jake

On 10/17/2016 12:50 PM, 'Terry Brown' via leo-editor wrote:
[meant to post to the list, not just Edward]

        *From:* Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com>
        *To:* leo-editor <leo-editor@googlegroups.com>
        *Cc:* terry_n_br...@yahoo.com
        *Sent:* Monday, October 17, 2016 11:23 AM
        *Subject:* Re: Proposal: remove commit_timestamp.json

        On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:04:52 AM UTC-5, Terry Brown
        wrote:

            I'm not really sure this has any utility :-/

            I am about to release Leo 5.4b1. Imo, the new scheme works
            very well.

        Leo /always/ reports first 8 characters of the git hash and
        git date, even when there is no git around, which is almost
        all the time for most users.

        This works because official releases now /do/ include
        commit_timestamp.json.

        The script that creates daily builds should be modified to
        create commit_timestamp.json /in the new format./ Once that is
        done, everything will "just work".

    As noted earlier in this thread, there is no script that creates
    the daily builds, there hasn't been since
    April 6, 2014:
    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/leo-editor/Hr-ygxeMPm4/tfCZxOCcv4wJ

    When you use a link like:
    https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master@{5 days
    ago}.zip

<https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master@%7B5%20days%20ago%7D.zip>
    GitHub sends you leo-editor-438e...92e4.zip.  That's what we have
    now on the Leo downloads page.

    So with the new scheme all we have for user interaction / bug
    resolution is asking the user the funky name of the folder they're
    running from, if we re-link "Latest" to ...{0 days ago}.zip

    *Even if there was a script*, it wouldn't help that much, even
    running at 15 minute intervals could create significant confusion
    re latest versions.

    Cheers -Terry

        To recap, the new scheme is /much /better than the old because:

        - No git hooks are ever needed.
        - There will be no git merge conflicts on
        commit_timestamp.json once people remove their git hooks.
        - Leo /always/ reports the hash and the date of the build that
        is being run, or will, once the daily build script is updated.)
        - The code in leoVersion.py is really simple.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "leo-editor" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to leo-editor+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:leo-editor+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to leo-editor@googlegroups.com <mailto:leo-editor@googlegroups.com>.