On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:04:52 AM UTC-5, Terry Brown wrote:

I'm not really sure this has any utility :-/

I am about to release Leo 5.4b1. Imo, the new scheme works very well.

Leo *always* reports first 8 characters of the git hash and git date, even
when there is no git around, which is almost all the time for most users.

This works because official releases now *do* include commit_timestamp.json.

The script that creates daily builds should be modified to create
commit_timestamp.json *in the new format.* Once that is done, everything
will "just work".

To recap, the new scheme is *much *better than the old because:

- No git hooks are ever needed.
- There will be no git merge conflicts on commit_timestamp.json once people
remove their git hooks.
- Leo *always* reports the hash and the date of the build that is being
run, or will, once the daily build script is updated.)
- The code in leoVersion.py is really simple.