[meant to post to the list, not just Edward]

 From: Edward K. Ream <edream...@gmail.com>
 To: leo-editor <leo-editor@googlegroups.com>
Cc: terry_n_br...@yahoo.com
 Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 11:23 AM
 Subject: Re: Proposal: remove commit_timestamp.json

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:04:52 AM UTC-5, Terry Brown wrote:

I'm not really sure this has any utility :-/
I am about to release Leo 5.4b1. Imo, the new scheme works very well.

Leo always reports first 8 characters of the git hash and git date, even when
there is no git around, which is almost all the time for most users.

This works because official releases now do include commit_timestamp.json.

The script that creates daily builds should be modified to create
commit_timestamp.json in the new format. Once that is done, everything will
"just work".

As noted earlier in this thread, there is no script that creates the daily
builds, there hasn't been since April 6, 2014:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/leo-editor/Hr-ygxeMPm4/tfCZxOCcv4wJ
When you use a link
like:https://github.com/leo-editor/leo-editor/archive/master@{5 days ago}.zip
GitHub sends you leo-editor-438e...92e4.zip.  That's what we have now on the
Leo downloads page.
So with the new scheme all we have for user interaction / bug resolution is
asking the user the funky name of the folder they're running from, if we
re-link "Latest" to ...{0 days ago}.zip
*Even if there was a script*, it wouldn't help that much, even running at 15
minute intervals could create significant confusion re latest versions.
Cheers -Terry

To recap, the new scheme is much better than the old because:

- No git hooks are ever needed.
- There will be no git merge conflicts on commit_timestamp.json once people
remove their git hooks.
- Leo always reports the hash and the date of the build that is being run, or
will, once the daily build script is updated.)
- The code in leoVersion.py is really simple.