On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:57 AM, Jacob Peck <gatesph...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm with Terry on this -- the commit_timestamp.json file has been
> immensely helpful in debugging user issues in the past.  Relegating the
> commit hash to some funky filename is not an acceptable option.

​Ok.  I can live with this.

I would like the hook that creates commit_timestamp.json to use the new
format. I'll see what I can do today.

Git hooks are painless.  Why is this suddenly an issue?

​Because they aren't painless :-).  And useless if a dev forgets to copy
them into leo-editor/.git when cloning a new repo.

In any event, the old code in leoVersion.py is much simpler than the old,
which knew way too much the structure of .git folders.  The new code just
uses git log -1.

EKR