On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 07:28:31PM +0100, Chris Benson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 03:29:21PM +0100, Paul Mison wrote:
> >
> > There must have been *some* way Oftel could have made something similar
> > work here.
>
> The people in uk.telecom were suggesting a one-off-this-will-hurt-but-
> it'll-only-happen-once change where the entire country moved to
>       (XXXX) YYYY-ZZZZ
> format,  back in the early '90s to my knowledge

Would that have worked?  I thought that some of the smaller exchanges
were still crufty and non-digital until at least the mid-nineties, and they
wouldn't have been able to cope with the longer numbers.  It's threads
like this which make me still confuse london.pm and (void).

np: Ray Charles cover of Eleanor Rigby.  It's ... odd.

[pause]

Wow!  Askjeeves actually came up with a relevant link when I asked it "when
did BT replace their last electro-mechanical exchange?".  0600 hrs, 11 Mar
1998 apparently, which is when Leigh-on-sea switched over from a TXE4
to System X.  OK, TXE4 wasn't electro-mechanical, but that did signal the
change-over to a fully digital network.

--
David Cantrell | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **

PGP signature