Philip Newton wrote:

> Oh, all right. Thanks to Neil and Simon for the correction. I suppose this
> misapprehension comes partly because it *used* to be two dialing codes (071,
> 081 -- or was it 0171, 0181? Or both, one after the other? I forget).

It was origially 01 ne c'est pas? Then it changed to 071 (Inner London)
and 081 (Greater London) then it changed to 0171 and 0181 and then
finally to 020 7xxx and 020 8xxx - what people don't seem to realises is
that theoretically someone could move in next to me and where I have a
number that starts 020 7xxx they could actually have 020 4xxx.