On Monday, October 25, 2021, 02:21:38 PM GMT+3, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
<lasgout...@lyx.org> wrote:

Good. Did you configure with "--enable-build-type=prof" ? This is
important because by default master will compile with some run-time
checks that lower the performance.

I didn't know that key. Thank you. I compiled master (without breakrows) with
it and strangely huge insets were noticeable more slow than without it. Maybe
some master updates changed performance, or this key.

> "git pull features breakrows"
> After that I compiled Lyx with autogen etc.

> Hugenotes are slow, similar to master, maybe a tad better. And I doubt –
> maybe it is master without breakrows branch. I don't see anything about that
> branch in Lyx info. Version info:

If it is the breakrow branch, then "git log" will start like:

commit 5f33a0ea1971e924c4959b9a003ed548871153ab (HEAD -> breakrows,
features/breakrows)
Author: Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgout...@lyx.org>
Date:  Tue Oct 12 11:33:23 2021 +0200

    One less thing to do in PAINTING_ANALYSIS

It is disappointing that the situation is not better. However, I am not
able to reproduce you problem on my system, and I do not understand why.
My core i7 7700T is not fundamentally faster than your core i7 6600U.

If you have some more time, we can try to find out why it is not that
fast. To do that, the idea would be to run a profiler like hotspot. Do
you have any experience with that?

Unfortunately, I did not find a way to let you send me the full profiler
data, since it depends of the precise version of all the components of
your system.

HEAD was master, not breakrows. I don't know what was wrong, so I deleted Lyx
git folder on my machine and cloned Lyx from git anew. After that compiled
master with --enable-build-type=prof – huge notes were very slow, almost
stalled. I compiled breakrows branch with --enable-build-type=prof and huge
notes are usable. Performance is much better than it was in master. There is
some, how to say, jerking, lagging when scrolling, scrolling isn't smooth,
there is a lag, but I can scroll insets almost freely. This is huge progress.
Maybe master waits it :).

I can help with testing (not this week though). I don't know anything about
profiler, but installed Hotspot, launched lyxgit (that is my prefix of master
Lyx) with default parameters. Now I have 56 MiB perf.data file. Versions of
packages are there, I think (except those from Arch linux Aur), if you need
that information:
https://lists.manjaro.org/pipermail/manjaro-packages/Week-of-Mon-20211011/042684.html

There is parser errors like "Module "libQt5Gui.so.5.15.2" is missing 1587 of
2089 debug symbols." and so on. So I can send perf.data file to you.

Valdemaras