Hello

On 11/3/09, Graham M Smith <graham.sm...@myotis.co.uk> wrote:
>  I wonder if something on Lyx/Sweave/R/Beamer might be useful. This
> combination is unbeatable (and I think unique, ignoring working with
> straight Latex) for anyone with scientific/statistics  related
> teaching/writing/presentations to do, but not immediately obvious how to get
> working, especially  with beamer (I am still trying to sort that out).

I was also thinking about Sweave support as a great selling point for
LyX, so to speak. Another not immediately obvious feature is support
in LyX for various Computer Algebra Systems (CAS), including the
open-source Maxima and Octave. For Sweave, a good reference would be
Gregor Gorjanc's Rnews article [1].

Already mentioned, it would be informative to explain UTF8 support in
LyX (the nuances of the variuos utf8* variants) and propose approaches
to writing multi-lingual documents (including tough-nuts-to-crack,
say, English+Greek+Russian).

Also mentioned, exporting to Word (and the like).. Yesterday
investigating (again) the issue of LaTeX to
anything-other-than-pdf-or-ps-or-dvi, I stumbled upon this interesting
overview [2] of various approaches.

Good luck!
Liviu

PS When the book is made public, please consider dropping a note on this list.

[1] http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2008-1.pdf
[2] http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/SweaveConvert