Bill,

If you have not yet uninstalled/reinstalled (or if you have and the problem persists), here's another thing you can try. Open a command prompt (Start > Run > cmd) and navigate to your user directory (which I think we established was C:\Documents and Settings\<you>\Application Data\lyx16) (or lyx20 ... you can try both versions). From that directory, run

C:\Program Files\<whichever LyX directory>\Python\python.exe C:\Program Files\<same LyX directory>\Resources\configure.py

which will do a reconfiguration of that version of LyX. This helped someone else with similar symptoms. His case was different -- he has a roaming profile homed on a network drive -- but it might work for you as well.

Paul