Good work debugging, David.

As I said, I don't use Windows, but if this problem occurred under
Linux the first thing I would try is to create a symlink (perhaps in
Windows this is similar to a "shortcut"?) for "maxima.exe", which
points to wxMaxima.exe. Does that work?

If that does not work, the next thing I would try (on Linux) is to
create a script called "maxima.exe" which runs wxMaxima.exe with the
same arguments and pipes it was passed. On Windows perhaps a batch
file called "maxima.exe" could do this? But then again, I think
Windows pays close attention to suffixes in which case batch files
must end in ".bat" so this would not work?

I suppose neither of these would work if you don't have Administrator
privileges though?

Scott