I think this is a problem with the default configuration, at least on
linux. You really need to use Bibtex8 for the bibliogrophy generation. This
is NOT the default. The default is bibtex which doesn't have any unicode
support because it actually was written in the 1980's. bibtex8 should
really be the default by now on any system. Also the language support in
lyx should default to utf-8. It would make life much easier to not have to
change these around so much and avoid these sorts of bugs. I also should
point out that pdflatex does an excellent job at catching these problems.
XeTex I think uses utf-8 by default which is why it worked when you
switched from pdflatex to XeTex.

~Ben