On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Benedict Holland <
benedict.m.holl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is a fantastic point. Also I just found this.
>
> http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex
>
> I don't know enough about Lyx to start programing stuff for it yet but it
> seems like pushing biber and biblatex as the default is about 15 years
> overdue. If someone who knows far more about the Lyx codebase can ping me
> or if this would be a great feature request, I would be willing to spend
> some time on this. I ran into very similar problem with a name much like
> Jürgen
> and I lost a few days trying to figure it out.

Hi Benedict,

I think most developers (of which I am not one) agree that full biblatex
support would be desirable. However, from what I understand, adding such
support is not an entirely trivial task, partly because biblatex/biber
interact with latex in a very different way from bibtex. That does not mean
you are not welcome to give it a try. In fact, you strongly encouraged to
do so! There were some discussions of this topic on the lyx-devel list a
few months ago. You may want to search for those threads to get started.

I also tend to believe that one of the reasons why biblatex support does
not have a very high priority on the developers' agenda is that the current
workaround (described in the wiki page you referred to) is good enough for
a lot of users. It has certainly been good enough for me for a number of
years. I switched to biblatex/biber to get full unicode support and avoid
the kind of time-consuming issues discussed in this thread. Once you get
used to loading biblatex in the preamble (and adding a fake bibtex inset at
the end) it is smooth sailing. If you tend to work with the same bib files
all the time (as I do), you may even create a lyx template with the proper
preamble and bibtex inset and you are done.

Cheers,
Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org