That is a fantastic point. Also I just found this.

http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex

I don't know enough about Lyx to start programing stuff for it yet but it
seems like pushing biber and biblatex as the default is about 15 years
overdue. If someone who knows far more about the Lyx codebase can ping me
or if this would be a great feature request, I would be willing to spend
some time on this. I ran into very similar problem with a name much like Jürgen
and I lost a few days trying to figure it out.

~Ben