On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 6:30 AM, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com> wrote:

> stefano franchi wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Benedict Holland <
> > benedict.m.holl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> That is a fantastic point. Also I just found this.
> >>
> >> http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex
> >>
> >> I don't know enough about Lyx to start programing stuff for it yet but
> it
> >> seems like pushing biber and biblatex as the default is about 15 years
> >> overdue. If someone who knows far more about the Lyx codebase can ping
> me
> >> or if this would be a great feature request, I would be willing to spend
> >> some time on this. I ran into very similar problem with a name much like
> >> Jürgen and I lost a few days trying to figure it out.
> >>

> > Hi Benedict,
> >
> > I think most developers (of which I am not one) agree that full biblatex
> > support would be desirable. However, from what I understand, adding such
> > support is not an entirely trivial task, partly because biblatex/biber
> > interact with latex in a very different way from bibtex. That does not
> mean
> > you are not welcome to give it a try. In fact, you strongly encouraged to
> > do so! There were some discussions of this topic on the lyx-devel list a
> > few months ago. You may want to search for those threads to get started.
> >
> > I also tend to believe that one of the reasons why biblatex support does
> > not have a very high priority on the developers' agenda is that the
> current
> > workaround (described in the wiki page you referred to) is good enough
> for
> > a lot of users. It has certainly been good enough for me for a number of
> > years. I switched to biblatex/biber to get full unicode support and avoid
> > the kind of time-consuming issues discussed in this thread. Once you get
> > used to loading biblatex in the preamble (and adding a fake bibtex inset
> at
> > the end) it is smooth sailing. If you tend to work with the same bib
> files
> > all the time (as I do), you may even create a lyx template with the
> proper
> > preamble and bibtex inset and you are done.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Stefano
> >

> Following the wiki instructions doesn't quite work for me.
>
> 1. It seems to fail to run biber.  All refs are undefined, and no
> bibliography
> is output.
>
> If I export lyx->tex and run lualatex, it asks me to run biber.  After
> manually
> running biber, then the bibliography is output.

1. I would first make sure that you have selected biber as you
bibbliography processor in
Document>>Settings>>Bibliography>>Processor  (from the drop-down menu
choose "biber")

2. Second, make sure that biber can actually find your bib files. Look in
the biber log for an appropriate message (Document>>LaTeX Log, then select
bibtex from the dropdown menu). do you see a message from biber to the
effect that one or more bib files could not be found?
Notice that biblatex requires you to specify the .bib extension in the
\addbibresource command in the preamble. ANd notice that you need to insert
the absolute path to the bib file (in the same command).

3. If biber is selected, and still it is not run by LyX during pdf
generation, I would check what LyX acutally does during such generation.
Choose View>>Messages Pane then click on the "settings" vertical tab in the
right, choose the "selected" radio button, and then in the rightmost pane
("Debug level") double click "LaTeX generation/execution."
Then visualize the pdf file as usual and look at which kind of messages you
get.

Get back to us with the info you get and we'll take it further.

> 2. But, in IEEE style, with bibtex, the bib entries use a smaller font,
> But not
> with biblatex - they seem to use the standard font used in the main
> material.

biblatex has a gazillion of options, I am sure there must be one somewhere
that does what you want. But as a quick hack, try the following in your
preamble:

\renewcommand{\bibfont}{\normalfont\small}

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org