stefano franchi wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Benedict Holland <
> benedict.m.holl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That is a fantastic point. Also I just found this.
>>
>> http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex
>>
>> I don't know enough about Lyx to start programing stuff for it yet but it
>> seems like pushing biber and biblatex as the default is about 15 years
>> overdue. If someone who knows far more about the Lyx codebase can ping me
>> or if this would be a great feature request, I would be willing to spend
>> some time on this. I ran into very similar problem with a name much like
>> Jürgen and I lost a few days trying to figure it out.
>>

> Hi Benedict,
>
> I think most developers (of which I am not one) agree that full biblatex
> support would be desirable. However, from what I understand, adding such
> support is not an entirely trivial task, partly because biblatex/biber
> interact with latex in a very different way from bibtex. That does not mean
> you are not welcome to give it a try. In fact, you strongly encouraged to
> do so! There were some discussions of this topic on the lyx-devel list a
> few months ago. You may want to search for those threads to get started.
>
> I also tend to believe that one of the reasons why biblatex support does
> not have a very high priority on the developers' agenda is that the current
> workaround (described in the wiki page you referred to) is good enough for
> a lot of users. It has certainly been good enough for me for a number of
> years. I switched to biblatex/biber to get full unicode support and avoid
> the kind of time-consuming issues discussed in this thread. Once you get
> used to loading biblatex in the preamble (and adding a fake bibtex inset at
> the end) it is smooth sailing. If you tend to work with the same bib files
> all the time (as I do), you may even create a lyx template with the proper
> preamble and bibtex inset and you are done.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefano

Following the wiki instructions doesn't quite work for me.

1. It seems to fail to run biber.  All refs are undefined, and no bibliography
is output.

If I export lyx->tex and run lualatex, it asks me to run biber.  After manually

running biber, then the bibliography is output.

2. But, in IEEE style, with bibtex, the bib entries use a smaller font, But not
with biblatex - they seem to use the standard font used in the main material.