Hi Esther

The situation has changed radically with Lion.  In Jim's case, he has the
hardware which comes with OS X Server pre-installed, I believe.  This hardware
is customised for OSX Server and cannot run anything else.  It won't boot from
a DVD or pen drive, as I understand it.

Jim, I believe, wanted the twin HD and the I7 processor, but doesn't need the
server stuff.

Actually it's my experience that the server software would impede the regular
use of applications in some situations because it requires specific
configuration data to be present.

My understanding is that you can't install the regular version of Lion on this
hardware platform.

As for the downloads, I'm not sure whether you're using Lion yet.  But this has
also changed.  There is no longer a download window to interact with.  So you
need to press the "Download" button on the Safari toolbar before you get any
interaction with the downloads.

In our case, you're correct that we need full server-side functionality.  Jim
probably wasn't aware of the situation with the Mac Mini Server before he
bought it, and that's entirely understandable.

Lion Server is grossly different in many respects from earlier versions.  For a
start, Print Services, Quicktime Streaming and MYSQL service are not supported
any longer.

Print Services has been replaced by what a
Apple calls "Cups" and the rest has been dropped completely.  Why they opted to
drop MYSQL I'm not entirely sure, but they have.

Gordon