Date sent:              Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:48:11 +1100
From:                   Darren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> The IE make over MyIE/Mcombo or the use of Mozilla for surfing will
> help keep nasties away with builtin popup blockers and such, use IE
> for updating software, a general tip for any version of windows. Use
> of a Firewall such a Zonealarm will provide you with many notices and
> options before the trail expires and it reverts to just a firewall,
> its updated once every few weeks so you basicly have a full version on
> a trial all year. ;) the popup at boot does become annoying.

I'm with Darren on these points, though I'm not familiar with
MyIE/Mcombo. Last year, US/CERT (sponsored in part by Homeland Security)
advised that the only semi-safe way to use Internet Exploder was to set
all the security settings to High (making it almost unusable) or else to
use an alternative browser such as one of the Mozilla browsers, Netscape
(which is now based on the Mozilla browsers) or Opera. For myself, I
switched to Mozilla and haven't looked back. A few sites (particularly
banking sites for some reason) SAY they require Internet Exploder (and
may not allow access with another browser), but there's a "User Agent
Switcher" plugin for Mozilla (and a similar function's built into Opera)
that allows you to fake out the site by telling it you're running that
MesSIE browser--in most cases, you'll then be able to access the site
without any problems. Then you only have to use MesSIE (aka Internet
Exploder) for Windows Update and sites which REALLY have features that
only IE supports due to its proprietary ways.

FYI, the Mozilla browsers are free/open source software and I'm told you
will find them to be similar to Safari (I believe the story is that the
lead developer of Safari had been a major player on the Mozilla team, so
a lot of the concepts and features of Mozilla were incorporated into
Safari).

Mozilla (or its popular "lean 'n' mean" li'l brother, Mozilla Firefox)
can be downloaded from http://www.mozilla.org . At least Firefox also
exists in a Mac OS X version, plus they have a parallel browser project
going called Camino, which I believe is more tuned to the Aqua interface.

Opera (which can be downloaded from http://www.opera.com) has a free
"adware" version and a paid shareware version. The ads are up in the top
right hand corner, and aren't really that obtrusive. There's also a Mac
version of Opera.

If you don't have it installed already, you'll need to get Sun's Java
Runtime Environment from http://java.com . It's freeware. Opera (and I
think Netscape) can be downloaded with Sun's JRE integrated into the
install, but I don't believe the Mozilla browsers have that download
option.

There's also a free (as in freeware) version of ZoneAlarm, which is the
basic firewall. You get that from http://www.zonelabs.com , and it beats
the heck outta Windows Firewall.

HTH,
MUGWump

--
I'm a MUGWump: My "MUG" is on the Mac side of the fence (since mid-2002), and
my "Wump" is on the PC side (since 1989). I've been on the trailing edge of