Date sent:              Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:16:06 -0500
From:                   Brian Futrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> For the shutting down problem I agree with others on this list that you
> may need to press Ctrl-Alt-Del and view the running applications.

Or use EndItAll/EndItAll2. I emailed both versions to her, and I've at
least read reports that both work fine under Windows XP, which is the OS
on Gretchen's family's Dell (I specify "family" because knowing her, I
don't think there'd be a PC in the house if it were up to her--it'd be a
pure Mac household ;).

BTW, I'm willing to email those programs to anyone else who needs 'em, or
else put 'em on my website for download if I get 100 emails in my inbox
asking for 'em. :-)

> Depending on how old the computer is, the computer would display the
> message 'You can now turn off your computer'.  This was true with
> computers with AT power supplies and older ATX systems that did not have
> ACPI configured properly.

I'm not sure that any PC from that era is capable of running Windows XP--
not at an acceptable speed, anyway.

--
I'm a MUGWump: My "MUG" is on the Mac side of the fence (since mid-2002), and
my "Wump" is on the PC side (since 1989). I've been on the trailing edge of