Hello,

Kai 'wusel' Siering via mailop wrote on 20.10.22 at 15:51:

As a German, you have to have an imprint on anything that is considered a
"service", yes, even on your personal, non-monetized blog. It the law ;) And
also off-topic here.

I agree, this part of the discussion will likely lead to no conclusion. The regulations here in Germany are a bit weird, but it's something we can hardly ignore. Experience tells me that other jurisdictions have other "strange" regulations too.

Obviously the intersection with the imprint mandate on one hand, and the GDPR rules (and how public data can be misused) on the other hand is an interesting one, but that's more of a legal, less of a technical problem.

I totally understand for non-Germans this imprint stuff is just super irritating, for us it's sadly somehow "normal", which doesn't mean we don't find it stupid... :-)

Well, it's a kind of non-written contractual agreement: you want your
mailserver to be able to sent to t-online.de, they want to know who you are.
You're free not to agree to the terms, so where's law involved anyway?

In the end, the acceptance or non-acceptance of mail operators is something many of the small providers suffer from, as outlined just recently here on the list. However...

And, to point this out again: the subject of this thread already has been
disproven — t-online.de/Deutsche Telekom/t...@rx.t-online.de is still white-
listing personal mailservers, as long as the criteria on their postmaster
page are met.

...that is my understanding. And from all interactions I had with mail operators, Telekom was amongst the fastest and most uncomplicated ones, so at least the practical handling was quite relaxed.

Florian