brian toscano wrote:
Dave,

What is the chance that the recirc flap is not closing all the way
allowing 100% outside air.  This would hurt the effectiveness of the
system for sure.  Also what about a possibly dirty evap.  Doesn't the
recirc flap at least partially engage anytime the A/C is on - or maybe
the source was incorrect.  I know on my white car that was an issue
because it always sucked outside air.

Mercedes allowed SOME outside air almost no matter what. It was different on different model cars (123 vs 126 vs 201 vs 124) and maybe even different years. There are elaborate charts in the 123, 126, 124, 201 heating/AC manuals showing what the air flow should be thru each flap with inside and outside temperatures and temp wheel settings.

I haven't studied the diagrams in years so am unwilling to make any generalities except to say that intuition is UNLIKELY to lead you to the correct decision about how much air should be directed in which direction under what conditions!

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm