Peter,

The W124 does not have a monovalve like the earlier cars... it's a
different design that rarely leaks. With the AC off and the vent on
min temp, I always get ambient air, not slightly heated, so I'm almost
certain the monovalve is not the issue. I have an R-12 system with
actual R-12 (gasp!) and I hope the expansion valve is not the problem,
since that requires evacuation to repair, and the old R-12 valve is
not available from the dealer anymore (not sure if we can still get it
via aftermarket or not.) I'm still hoping for a simple fix with the
B10/6 evap sensor....

:-)

-Dave M.