Dave M. wrote:
Marshall,

I thought that's how it should work. My 124 diesel will fluctuate
between 38-42F when it's rolling along at speed, even on a really hot
day. And I don't have the Easley mod. I read what you sent about that
but I think what he did was a Band-Aid for another problem. I do NOT
believe Mercedes intended the stock setting to be 48-52F, which is
what he was getting on his test car, then he added the resistor shunt
to drop those temps into the mid/upper 30's. I believe it should be
38-42F and maybe his shunt trick could drop that to maybe 36-40 or
34-36, depending on how close you want to run to the freezing point.

I'll have to yank the sensor and test it, maybe tomorrow night. I hope
you are correct that they drift up over time. I can yank the one from
the parts car for comparison.

The stock resistance value is supposed to shut off the compressor at 5 deg C. (41 F). Richard's mod was calculated to drop that to 1-2 deg. C. (34-36 F). Richards 7-8 deg C starting point was the consequence of an aging evap temp sensor (they will go higher then that as they age and eventually the compressor will NEVER come on when the sensor resistance reaches 25k ohm when air temp is 20-40 deg. C. I have had several ETS in 201s (different not interchangeable part, but that serves exactly the same purpose and is of similar construction) increase in value over time (until the compressor would not come on at all), that's a common aging result with ntc resistors.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm